Saturday, May 14, 2011

Creating a Community

One of my peers had the idea of having his students {he wants to teach high school history/social studies} decorate a puzzle piece on the first day of class and post them on the classroom wall as a giant jigsaw puzzle, showing them that their individual pieces {read: identity & history} contributes to the overall puzzle {read: classroom community}.  I thought this was a wonderful idea. 
My only obstacle was making pieces that fit together.  I needed pieces that could be flipped over and rotated and still fit.  There needed to be a square base with opposite 'outies' and 'innies'. 
I traced a half of one side of an 'outie' on a large piece of paper then folded the paper in half and cut it out so I had one full side of an 'outie'.  For the pieces I bought a packet of file folders and the biggest base I would be able to make is a 4" x 4".  [Note: since I would only have a 4" x 4" center, I had to make sure the template was less than 1" so there still would be room for the students to decorate their piece].  I cut the 'outie' template to this size making sure the fold was at 2". 
I then traced out the puzzle onto a thick paper using the template.  For the 'outies' I traced it away from the center and for the 'innies' I traced it toward the center.  Once I made sure I was proud of my puzzle {which took me about three tries} I traced it onto the file folders and cut them out.  To make sure the sides were straight I used a scrapbooking/papercrafts straight edge cutter. 
They turned out pretty well!  I used this on one class in which the students only used sharpies although I gave them paper, scissors, and glue.  I also gave this to my coworkers, who went all out using the supplies I gave them.  They turned out wonderfully!  =)
Sarah cut out quotes from a story book and matted a line of sheet music.  Carly wove together full pages from the story book to use as the background.  Kat used different types of papers to create a beautiful layered effect.  All of them used patterned paper to cut out the letters of their names.  

No comments:

Post a Comment